About Shorter University Online
Founded in 1873 and located in Rome, Georgia, Shorter University is a private, liberal arts college with a legacy of academic excellence and a dynamic Christian heritage. Ranked as one of the "Top 20 Southern Comprehensive Colleges" and the "Top Ten Best Buys" since 2002 by U.S. News and World Report magazine, Shorter University offers undergraduate liberal arts programs, specialized professional programs, and select graduate programs in business.
Shorter University has a rich history of providing students with a quality education in an intentionally Christian atmosphere. The college is committed to "enabling and encouraging student commitment to active, life-long learning; personal spiritual values; responsible citizenship; and community and societal leadership in a global context." Highly qualified faculty nurture students as individuals and provide personalized instruction. Shorter University offers a personalized education that produces outstanding results.
Why Choose Shorter ONLINE?
- Educational Excellence: At Shorter University ONLINE, students receive high-quality instruction from a well-established institution with a reputation for educational excellence.
- Knowledgeable Faculty: Approximately two-thirds of Shorter University's faculty members have earned the highest degree available in their field of expertise.
- National Accolades: Shorter University is ranked among the top 20 baccalaureate institutions in the south according to U.S. News & World Report's 2009 "America's Best Colleges" rankings. Shorter has been ranked as a top-tier institution by U.S. News annually since 2002. The college has also been ranked for four years as a "Best Southeastern College" by the Princeton Review.
- Religious Affiliation: Shorter University is affiliated with the Georgia Baptist Convention, the Georgia affiliate of the Southern Baptist Convention.
- Accreditation: Shorter University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate, baccalaureate and master degrees.
The Mission of Shorter University is to provide quality higher education, enabling and encouraging student commitment to active, life-long learning; personal spiritual values; responsible citizenship; and community and societal leadership in a global context.
The college seeks to accomplish this mission through quality undergraduate liberal arts programs, specialized professional programs and select graduate programs. Geographically distant locations provide educational opportunities to individuals who are unable to attend classes in a traditional setting. The college affirms a commitment to the Christian faith and strives to integrate Christian values within a nurturing community in its whole process of education.
Shorter University has a long history as an institution that has distinguished itself in the arts and sciences. Founded as the Cherokee Baptist Female College in 1873 and renamed Shorter University in 1877 to honor benefactors Alfred and Martha Shorter, it remained a women’s college until the 1950s, building a strong reputation for excellence, most particularly in the field of music. Since that time, the school has continued to build upon that liberal arts heritage in science, business, education, and more recently, in providing professional education to adults. On June 1, 2010 Shorter College became Shorter University.